Saturday, March 15, 2014

[Kame's Review]: "Interview with a Master"


Interview with a Master by Jason Luke
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (February 8, 2014)
Series: Interview with a Master, 1
Genre: Contemporary Erotica



It's the interview like no other.
It's the interview of a lifetime.
It's THE Interview with a Master.
When Jonah Noble reveals details of his life within the world of BDSM, the tale he tells is intensely erotic, profoundly sensual, and brutally honest.
This is His world. His way.
There is only one question the man will not answer…


(BDSM erotica from a man's POV, written by a man. Contains some explicit language)





Where to Buy*:
More Info:






Kame's Review:


Jonah Noble notorious BDSM Master agrees to an interview with Leticia Fall an intern journalist. During the interview he becomes intrigued and frustrated at the same time; frustrated that she seems to be asking questions that she could have easily researched to find the answers, and intrigued by her person. He offers her something a struggling journalist could only wish for; unprecedented access and the promise to answer every question; an interview like no other.


“For everything I tell you, you must tell me something about yourself – an exchange of secrets and information.”

She went stiff. Her back straightened. “That’s not fair,” she said.


The smile stayed fixed on my lips. “I think it is,” I countered comfortably. “After all, you still have the advantage, Miss. Fall. You can publish my story. I merely get to know yours.”




The unprecedented access Jonah gave Leticia required multiple interview sessions, some at his apartment and some in hers. His detailed recollection would sometimes take Leticia’s breath away. At times I felt like a voyeur. Jonah descriptions were so meticulous that I forgot it was character dialog and not the author describing a steamy scene. I found Leticia’s questions to be probing and some of her follow up questions were exactly what I would ask. As the interview progressed the questions became marginally veiled attempts to learn more about each other, and at some point turns into Leticia learning about Jonah’s lifestyle not solely for the purpose of journalism, but for her to answer the personal question if this was a lifestyle she could embrace.


This book fascinated me the minute I found out about it, but I was unsure if I wanted to read it. I am not a fan of BDSM books, but the idea that this book was written by a man pushed me over to try it. I think the single POV of Jonah leant itself to a male author. There wasn’t flowery dialog or descriptions. Each characters questions to the other were quick and to the point. The book centered on the interview and there were few scenes outside the interview setting, and actually very few locations or characters outside what pertained to Jonah and Leticia. I don’t normally enjoy single POV books, and that was my biggest concern with this book, but as it progressed I realized this was truly the only way this story could be told. Jonah is a BDSM master and seems to be dedicated to his lifestyle. His interaction with Leticia is business, but becomes one of the most emotionally intimate relationships he has ever had in his life. At the end of the book I did like Jonah and felt compassion for his situation. The single POV of Jonah did not lend itself to my understanding of Leticia; we did learn some of her background and how she ended up in the big city but I would have traded a few of those steamy BDSM scenes Jonah described for a few minutes inside Leticia’s head.


Without reading a word of this book people will make comparisons to the E.L James trilogy (which I have read), but that would be unfair. Jonah does have a need to control and dominate all aspects of his life; not only the intimate ones. However Jonah is not trying to make Leticia his, and I think he does a better job at explaining the lifestyle to Leticia than Christian ever did in Ms. James’ three books.


Even though this book discusses BDSM that is not how I would strictly categorize this book, there really are romantic elements. Out of all the scenes in the book I felt the most intimate was a kiss between Jonah and Leticia in his playroom, honestly it affected me more than any of the detailed scenes from Jonah’s past.   I question on whether to warn the reader of a cliffhanger ending. I am not a fan of cliffhanger endings, however even though this book does not have the ending most would want, I feel it is appropriate and for me could be the end of their story. There was a definite door opened for the story to continue. If Jason Luke does continue I will most likely read the second installment to see how Jonah and Leticia can move past this conflict; I am still intrigued.


    
   3 1/2 STARS!





 ~*~*~*~
Kame received an e-copy of this book from the author  in exchange for her honest opinion.
~*~*~*~



Meet Kame:

Kame is part of a family of readers; one day she picked up the Nook she purchased for her husband and discovered her love of e-books. A few months later he purchased one for her so he could have his back! Kame’s Nook is never far, and she is hard pressed to pick a favorite book, genre or author. As long as there are characters that make her want to sit down and have a chat and a plot keeps the pages turning, she’ll read it.

Kame's GoodReads 




~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Thanks for the review, Kame! :) I've heard some buzz about this book, and I am glad you decided to give it a try! Thank you for the honest review; even though you may not have loved it, I can still tell from your review that you did enjoy it, and I'm actually intrigued enough to perhaps pick it up myself! And isn't that the point of a well done review?  

Does this sound like a book you would read? Do you read many romances written by male authors? Do you like 1st person POV in romances?











Enjoy!


Until Next Time,

Photobucket

  *TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

No comments :