Right now I am...
~Accepting Reviews (If I do not personally have the time, perhaps one of my guest reviewers might. See my Review Policy for more information.)
~Booking Author Interviews and Guest Posts (See Being a Guest Author)
~Hosting Giveaways and Tours (Also see Being a Guest Author)
~Looking for Guest Reviewers (See Being a Guest Reviewer)
More about The_Book_Queen...
And don't forget to visit some of the other blogs that I love!
Are you interested in buying one of the books I've reviewed? If so, feel free to search Amazon for it!
- Blog Tour Spotlight: "Temptation by Fire" + Giveaw...
- [Pat's Review]: "Kaleidoscope"
- Release Day Launch: "Prince of Blood and Steel" + ...
- [Blog Tour Spotlight]: "Fighting Love" + Giveaway!...
- Blog Tour Spotlight: "Burn For Me" + Giveaway!
- Freebie Alert (Untangle My Heart) + Giveaway!
- [Musing Maddie's Review]: "Betting On You"
- [Review]: "Friends to Lovers"
- Lusting for Covers (161)
- Book Deals (9)
- [Musing Maddie's Review]: "Come to Me Quietly"
- [ARC Review]: "Secret"
- [Pat's Review]: "Sweet Southern Betrayal"
- [Blog Tour Spotlight]: "Her Lovestruck Lord" + Giv...
- [ARC Review]: "My Sweetest Escape"
- [ARC Review]: "Deeper"
- Shifter-A-Thon-Read-A-Long: What Book Next? Feb 20...
- [Blog Tour Review]: "Surrendering to Us"
- Lusting for Covers (160)
- [Kame's Review]: "The Sweetest Seduction"
- "Prince of Blood and Steel" Teasers -- Part 3!
- [Review]: "Running the Red Light"
- [Blog Tour Spotlight]: "Bounty" + Giveaway!
- [Kame's Review]: "Rebel"
- [Blog Tour]: Interview with Kat Simons + Giveaway!...
- [Blog Tour Spotlight]: "Shadow of Sin" + Giveaway!...
- [Review]: "Catch a Ghost"
- [Musing Maddie's Review]: "After Forever"
- [Blog Tour Release Day Blitz]: "Fighting for Irish...
- Book Deals (8)
- Lusting for Covers (159)
- [Musing Maddie's Review]: "Forever + Always"
- [Review]: "Wilde For Her"
- Guest Post with Jackie Ashenden!
- [Pat's Review]: "Pushing the Line"
- Release Day Blitz: "Surrendering to Us" + Giveaway...
- Blog Tour: Short Story for "Born in Blood" + Givea...
- "Prince of Blood and Steel" Teasers -- Part 2!
- Reviews + Discussion: "Back To You" + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour: Guest Post with Renea Mason!
- Lusting for Covers (158)
- [Kame's Review]: "Blue Lines"
- [Blog Tour Spotlight]: "Secrets for Seducing a Roy...
- [Pat's Review]: "Beg Me to Slay"
- January's Pick for the Shifter-a-Thon-Read-a-Long!...
- "Prince of Blood and Steel" Teasers -- Part 1!
- ▼ January (47)
- ► 2013 (378)
- ► 2012 (278)
- ► 2010 (91)
- ► 2009 (151)
Most Common Labels
Review Romance Contemporary Blog Tour Own Giveaway Lusting for Covers 4 Stars 5 Stars 4.5 Stars NetGalley ARC copy Historical Paranormal Guest Post E-Book Author Interview NOR 3.5 Stars Novella Magic What did I receive? ShapeShifters Teen Fantasy 3 Stars Teen Romance Vampires Military Erotica England Contest Winner Random Stuff Contests Demons Scotland Werewolves Early Reviewer's Book From LibraryThing Fantasy Reading Recap Fiction Time Travel Urban Fantasy Anthology Book Shopping Completed Reading LIst 2 Stars 2.5 Stars Book Trailer Discussion Dragons Robin Leigh Miller Dawn Halliday Guest Authors J.K. Beck Rebecca Royce Barnes and Noble First Look Copy Barnes and Noble Sneak Peak Copy Blog Tours BlogRoll Books Read Calendar Overview Disclosure Read in 2008 Read in 2009 Read in 2010 Read in 2011 Review Policy
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
I know for years I've said I wouldn't review M/M romances here on TBQ's Book Palace. But today marks the first such review.
Note: This is actually my third M/M romance, but my first to be reviewed on the blog. The other two, one of which is a YA paranormal, will show up over the next few weeks.
Now, don't worry -- 99% of the reviews, spotlights, etc, here on the blog will still be M/F romances. But I may review one or two good M/M romances as I find them.
If M/M romances are not your thing, if you find them "ick", etc, I won't take offense if you choose not to read this review. Check out some of our other recent reviews and posts, or come back tomorrow for a new post. We each have our own likes and dislikes!
If, however, you do like M/M, or you are interested, like I was, in trying this genre, I hope you enjoy this review!
Catch a Ghost by SE Jakes
Publisher: Riptide Publishing; first edition (September 7, 2013)
Series: Hell or High Water, 1
Genre: M/M Romance
Everyone knows that Prophet—former Navy SEAL, former CIA spook, full-time pain in the ass—works alone and thinks only about the trouble he can cause. But his boss, Phil Butler of Extreme Escapes, LTD., has just assigned Proph not only a new partner but also a case haunted by ghosts from Proph’s past. Suddenly, he’s got to confront them both head on.
Tom Boudreaux—failed FBI agent, failed sheriff, full time believer in bad luck—is wondering why the head of a private contracting firm has hunted him down to offer him a job. Still he's determined to succeed this time, despite being partnered with Prophet, EE, LTD’s most successful, lethal, and annoying operative, and even though the case is also resurrecting his own painful past.
Together, Prophet and Tom must find a way to take down killers in the dangerous world of underground cage matches, while fighting their own dangerous attraction. And when they find themselves caught in the crossfire, these two loners are forced to trust each other and work together to escape their ghosts . . . or pay the price.
Where to Buy*:
Obviously, this is a male-male romance. If you are not comfortable with this genre, or it's just not your thing, that's completely okay! The blog will still continue to cover primarily male-female romances. Now that I've found this genre, I may read and review one every so often, but that's about it.
Oh, and be warned, this review may have more profanity that I have ever used before; sorry.
How would I describe Catch a Ghost? Let's see . . . Full of torture, darkness, and even a bit of angst, it's not going to work for every reader. I loved it. I couldn't stop reading, hated the interruptions of life getting in the way, forcing me to put it down, even if only for a moment. I was constantly on edge, not sure what was going to happen next, worried about these two strong, yet tortured, men. Simply put, I am very glad that I decided to give this author, and this series, a try!
I'll break this review down into what I loved, and what I didn't.
I loved Tom and Prophet. They are both very much the typical strong alpha-male, with a good dash of sarcasm and more than a little rough around the edges. In other words, extremely sexy! Tom has various ink, which I found sexy, as well as some piercings. His nipple rings? Yum. And I was intrigued when he mentioned a cock piercing. . . until a later scene, when I found out it was a Jacob's ladder. And of course I had to Google it. I now regret that. A LOT. So in my mind, Tom has a single, simple piercing down there, because the thought of the real piercing kind of makes me shudder.
I loved their twisted relationship – and trust me, it is twisted. Both men have horrible demons from their pasts and they refuse to open up to each other, refuse to admit they may need each other. Their relationship is very much a fight-'em-and-fuck-'em. It's rough, it's raw, it's not very gentle, yet I could still see that they did care for each other, even if they're not ready to say as much out loud. Yet.
And speaking of fucking . . . Gah, the man-on-man lovin' in this book was great. I never thought I'd be reading m/m romances, but I've found that when it's done well, and by a talented author (such as this), it can be very, very sexy! Again, it's not for every reader, and that's fine, I understand. But if you want to see what happens when two alpha-males collide, grab this book and a cold shower. :)
In, or out, of bed, Tom and Prophet were fun to watch together. They joke, they threaten, they jump each other . . . it's great. Trust me.
And finally, the suspense and storyline was very intense and complicated. I was drawn in from the beginning and I can't wait to start book 2.
All that being said, I do have to point out a few flaws. I did notice some mistakes and errors; nothing major, but they were there. Also, I found the writing to be a bit confusing at times. It's hard to pinpoint and elaborate on, but there were scenes where I was unsure who was talking or what each man was doing. Perhaps it needed just a little bit more polishing? Or maybe I'm just picky, I'm not sure.
This book doesn't end in a HEA, but the series will end in a HEA for Tom and Prophet. I personally cannot wait to see that; these two men deserve it. I know it won't be easy to get there, as Jakes has proven already with this book.
Was this book perfect? No. Will it work for every reader? Of course not. Did I still enjoy it? HELL YES! I will be reading this author again, I will be continuing Tom and Prophet's story, and I will recommend this book to those who are looking for a lot of action and hot, rough, man-on-man action! As I told Jakes on Twitter while reading this book -- it's sexy and addicting. And who can resist that combination?
~ * ~ * ~
I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for my honest opinion.
~ * ~ * ~
Alright -- thoughts? Are you a fan of M/M? Have you read any books in this genre? Are you interested in trying some? And, most importantly, would you like me to share (a few!) reviews from this genre in the future?
I have to say, the cover is what sealed the deal when I noticed this book popping up on GR and then NetGalley -- very sexy! :)
Until Next Time,
*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!
Labels: 4 Stars, Contemporary, M/M Romance, Military, NetGalley, Review, Romance, Suspense, TBQ's Reviews
Your Ad Here!
blog advertising is good for you
Your Ad Here!
blog advertising is good for you
My Rating Scale
- 5 Stars= Fantastic. Perfect rating, and a must read for anyone!
- 4.5 Stars= Great--- highly recommended!
- 4 Stars= Good, a very enjoyable read.
- 3.5 Stars= Nice, quick read.
- 3 Stars= Okay, about average.
- 2.5 Stars= Eh....Not the worst, but below average.
- 2 Stars= Borderline fail...Something was missing!
- 1.5 Stars=I didn't like it.
- 1 Star= Major flaws.... Or not my cup of tea, depends on how you care to look at it...
- 0.5 Star= DNF or DNE (did not enjoy--- at all).
Visitors to the Site
Web Counters Since December 19th, 2008
- Utah, United States
- Books are my life--plain and simple! :) My genre of choice is romance, of almost any kind. I love reading, I love sharing my thoughts on the books with others, and I'm always up for recommendations and book conversations! Please, feel free to find me on any of the various websites I frequent, or drop me an email! If you are interested in me reviewing your book (Or you just want to ask me a question), please email me at: The_Book_Queen[at]yahoo[dot]com.