Thursday, September 12, 2013

[Kame's Review]: "Archer"


Archer by Debra Kayn
Publisher: Forever Yours (July 2, 2013)
Series: Hard Body, 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance


She's on the run . . . 


Jane Beaumont currently has in her possession: a cat, a hundred grand in cash, and a pistol. She's on her way home to Bay City, Oregon-and away from the nightmare of her violent ex-boyfriend. She'll lay low at Beaumont Body Shop, a car detailer that runs a private investigation agency in the back. The only wrench in her plan is Kage Archer: sexy, strong, and intent on protecting Jane at all costs. She's wanted Kage forever, but putting him in harm's way is not a risk she's willing to take. 

He's not going anywhere 

Kage is no stranger to the dark side of life, but he's always walked on the right side of the law. Yet when Jane expressed her interest in him years ago, he pushed her away for her own good. Now, after learning of all she's endured, Kage can't leave her side-or hide his need for her. When a frightening situation turns dire, can Kage convince Jane that the safest place to be is in his arms?








Where to Buy*:
More Info:



Kame's Review:




Kage is so broken. He has spent a lot of time trying to put his life together so that he would be worthy of Jane, his best friend's sister. Unbeknownst to Kage or Jane’s brother, Jane is in an abusive relationship. Even though she wants to keep her loved ones safe and she knows Scott will hunt her down, when she runs away for her life Jane runs home.  Keeping Jane safe will test Kage’s determination to stay on the right side of the law.




“You did good, baby. You survived,” he said.

“Did I? Because right now, knowing you found out what I allowed him to do to me feels lot like I died the moment I left home to go live with Scott."





I could go crazy with quotes which tugged at my heart in this book. This book had a lot of alpha male parts but just as many soft parts too.


He gave her the breath to breathe, her strength to be strong, and her will to overcome her past.


Jane and Kage have always known each other and it was nice to see the strong bond they have explored. Both characters are loyal and have deep convictions. Their relationship had the comfort of old friends at the same time having the zing of finding your perfect match. I like how Jane went through many emotions when she ran away from her abuser. It was not instantaneous switch in her head and the years of abuse didn’t affect her at all. Jane had the strength to leave Scott and did not crumble when she arrived home; she was determined to protect her brother and his friends; and Bluff her cat. That cat was the perfect “character” to show the deep seated parts of Jane and Kage when dialog would not.  The attention and patience Kage gave Bluff was so sweet, it gave his character a little softness around his alpha hard edges that made him just melt my heart. He is quite introspective; and the author shows it in such unconventional ways – my favorite the picture in his locker.




“You don’t get it. I’m paying.” He stood straighter, so she couldn’t kiss him again.

“Does this have to do with the whole subject of me in your bed, ugh, ‘you’re my woman, let me drag you to my house by your hair’ thing you got going on?” she asked


His cheek twitched and he laughed. Not in a ha-ha-that’s-funny but in a you’re-freaking-hilarious kind of way that made her happy to let him get away with the caveman act. “Yeah, baby, that is it.”


She smiled. “Okay then. You’re paying.”


“Yeah?”


She shrugged. “It’s sexy the way you want to take care of me. Gives me butterflies in a good way.”


“Fuck,” he murmured “Butterflies?”


“Yeah,” She opened the doors. “It’s like foreplay with my clothes on.”



Thoroughly enjoyed it!  I will admit I was drawn to this book by the cover, but it was what is written on the pages that had me anticipating book 2 (Weston) when I wasn't 25% through the book.  While this is a book in a series it does have a complete plot, there are no cliff hangers that force you to buy book 2 – but mark my words – you are going to want to! 




  5 STARS!





 ~*~*~*~
Kame received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for her honest opinion.


*Note: The quotes used belong to Debra Kayn; Kame and TBQ's Book Palace do not claim them.
~*~*~*~



Meet Kame:

Kame is part of a family of readers; one day she picked up the Nook she purchased for her husband and discovered her love of e-books. A few months later he purchased one for her so he could have his back! Kame’s Nook is never far, and she is hard pressed to pick a favorite book, genre or author. As long as there are characters that make her want to sit down and have a chat and a plot keeps the pages turning, she’ll read it.

Kame's GoodReads 
 



~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Thanks for the review, Kame! :) I'm definitely buying this one, the cover is delicious, the story sounds great and the quotes were fantastic! :D 


Have you read any of Debra Kayn's books before? 










Enjoy!



Until Next Time,
Photobucket
*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

5 comments :

Pat Egan Fordyce said...

Kame, you have done it again!!! I have to go out and get this NOW! The cover is gorgeous, but your review is great, and really makes me want to read this! Thanks.

Pat Egan Fordyce said...

Whoops! I already have it!!! Guess hat I'll be reading in the rain tomorrow!

Kame said...

Pat you will love it!

Red Iza said...

"Foreplay with my clothes on", love that line !

Norah Wilson said...

You've got me wanting to read this one, Kame!