Friday, August 2, 2013

[Book Discussion/Review]: "Masked Cowboy"

Again, Kame and I are trying something a little different for today's post! We both picked up Masked Cowboy at the same time, and decided to do a double review and discussion about it. A few emails later, and here's what we put together. Let us know what you think about this post--do you want to see more like it or not?

Enjoy!
TBQ




Masked Cowboy by Sarah M. Anderson
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (August 6, 2013) 
Series: Men of the White Sandy, 2
Genre: Contemporary Romance


He hides from the world…but he can’t hide from her.

Men of the White Sandy, Book 2

Moving her veterinary practice out west is a chance for Mary-Beth to start over. But her resolve to learn to hold her tongue goes out the window when she meets Jacob, a Lakota cowboy who says next to nothing—especially about the black leather mask covering half his face.

Sometimes he seems to be almost flirting. Other times, it’s as if he’s angry she exists. But there’s no mistaking the heat that flares between them.

Jacob still isn’t sure who—or what—carved up his face and killed his best friend three years ago. All he knows is the thing was after a child he now hides with his silence. A medicine woman’s granddaughter he would die to protect.

Outspoken, sexy Mary Beth reminds him of how lonely his life has become. But he can’t forget how much he stands to lose if any distraction allows a monster to rise again and destroy the last hope of his people.


Warning: This book contains a masked cowboy with a lot to hide, a woman who shoots her mouth off at all the wrong times, and the wanton destruction of a certain pair of panties during explosive sex.




Where to Buy*:
More Info:



Double Review and Discussion:



The_Book_Queen: Kame, I'm excited to share this book with readers. Anderson has a talent for writing great contemporaries, whether it's her Native American “cowboys” or her bikers (well, custom bike makers). Now, I read book one in this series (review), but you haven't. So I have to ask—what did you think of Masked Cowboy? Did it make you want to read her other books?



Kame: TBQ I am so glad you thought of this. I really enjoyed the Masked Cowboy and yes now I want to read book 1.  I haven’t looked at any other books by Sarah but I will definitely check them out…Custom Bike makers huh…hmmmm



TBQ: Oh yes--trust me, the Bolton brothers are pretty good, too! :) 

Mary Beth had a bit of a sassy mouth...which sometimes helped her, and sometimes got her into more trouble. Did you like her character? Do you have a favorite quote from Mary Beth?



K: I loved Mary Beth from the beginning. She had a lot of spunk. She was also quiet observant. There are so many things she said that made me laugh out loud. And lots I found held some sort of spoiler…so here is one that is spoiler free.


“Oh, this? This is how I unwind after a long day of neutering ferrets.”







TBQ: Oh yes, I remember that quote! :D I couldn't even pick, there was just too many great lines from Mary Beth. 

And Jacob...oh, boy. Did you fall for the sexy masked cowboy like I did? :) How would you describe him to our readers?



K: I was intrigued by Jacob. And the more I read about him OH – the more I really loved him.  He was so sensitive and what a business man he was, sort of a visionary. Would I go and have dinner at the cafĂ© – OH YES!

Here is my favorite Jacob quote…


“I have never owned you, but I possess the part of your soul you’ve already given me. I’m a part of you now, no matter how mad you get.”




TBQ; No fair--you picked my favorite Jacob quote, too! I think I melted into a little puddle on the floor when I read that part! 

This is my fourth Anderson book. With each book, I've found that she knows how to balance the sexy and sweet scenes. In Masked Cowboy , a certain sexy scene, in the early part of the book, stuck with me, even to this day! :) (Hint—stormy night and a cabin door....) Did you have a favorite scene from the book -- sweet, sexy, or even funny?



K: I enjoyed that scene too. I liked the first big snowfall and Kip and Jacob coming to dinner.




TBQ: Masked Cowboy has a bit of mystery subplot to it—we won't give away any spoilers, don't worry! But were you surprised by who the “monster” was? Did you feel that this mystery fit in with the story and characters?



K: The mystery subplot was great and the “monster” was a surprise and with Jacob’s heritage I think it fit in perfect, and it wrapped everything perfectly.



TBQ: I couldn't agree more. In any other setting, it would not have worked, but, as you said, with Jacob's heritage it fit in perfectly. 

Kip was a complicated little girl. She went through such a horrible ordeal, but thankfully had Jacob, and then Mary Beth, to help her heal. Kip really fit the story, I thought, and I was happy when she finally started to heal and rejoin the world. Did you like her, or did having a child in the story bother you?



K: I did find Kip’s character great – and I liked how she evolved. Her character was a great fit for the story.  I don’t think she could have been a talkative readhead darling. She needed some mystery to her. I also think she was a crucial character in the book, I don’t think the book would have been as good if she was left out.  She sort of tied the Native American aspects of the plot together.  I hope in future books we see her thrive.



TBQ: Yes, I hope we see her in future books, too. She's been through a lot; it's time for her life to return to normal. 

Although I'm sure we could go on for another hour about the book, what do you say we wrap this up? Mini review time! :) Why did you like Masked Cowboy? Will you be reading more by this author? And who would you recommend this book to? Oh—and do you have any favorite quotes to share? I have one:


“Today's the day I've got nothing to hide from you, Mary Beth. I've got nothing I want to hide from you.”


*sigh *

And as to my mini review... 

Once again, Sarah M. Anderson delivers a lovely contemporary, one that is both sweet and sexy, fun and a little bit mysterious. With Masked Cowboy she gives a twist on the usual "cowboy" story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! 



Oh I loved that quote too! Seems today I will have the long one…


“I’d ask how you’re doing but you look like you’re going to pass out, “ she said simply as they trotted away from the ranch.

He took a deep breath, “I’m working on not being a jerk.”


“Good. Good start. That was a whole sentence. Perhaps you should also consider breathing on a more regular basis as well, unless you aren’t up to multitasking today, “ she said as she kept an eye on the trees – and pointedly not him.


“No, “ he smiled, relieved she was still normal, even if he felt anything but, “you’re right. Breathing is good.” 


“One of my favorites. Good old air. Can’t go wrong”





My short review:

Masked Cowboy is a cowboy story with a whole lot more - a little twist and mystery. There was a good amount of steamy couple time, a few laughs and some sentimental moments too. I would definitely pick up the next book in the series. I would tell anyone who liked a cowboy book that was a little out of the norm to give it a try.  I know a few friends I am definitely telling them they need to pick it up.


The_Book_Queen: Thanks for the fun discussion, Kame! :) We must do this again sometime.




Final Verdict:
We both really liked this book; I'm curious to see whose book will be next, and Kame is now looking into Sarah's previous books.


4 STARS! 




~ * ~ * ~

Kame and I both received e-ARCs from the author in exchange for our honest opinion.

*Note: The quotes used belong to Sarah M. Anderson; Kame and TBQ's Book Palace do not claim them.

~ * ~ * ~


Have you read any of  Sarah M. Anderson's novels--do you have a favorite? Do you like book discussions like this, or just straight reviews? Let us know!





Enjoy! 


Until Next Time,



 Photobucket

*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

7 comments :

Mary D. said...

I liked getting both of your opinions and the discussion about the book.


I've read all of Sarah's books. My favorites are A Man of Privilege, A Real Cowboy, and Mystic Cowboy. But they are all good, of course!

The_Book_Queen said...

Thanks, Mary! I've not read A Man of Privilege, but I have read the other two you mentioned and really enjoyed them both! :)
Enjoy,
TBQ

KAMEBookReview said...

Thank you Mary - Masked was my first - but won't be my last - I do have a thing for cowboys

Anna@herding cats said...

Hmmm yeah I think I need to give this one a read :) Love that cover and yall made it sound so darn good!

Pat Egan Fordyce said...

Great discussion, thanks Kame and The Book Queen! I have not read anything by Ms. Anderson, obviously that has to change. Bikers and Cowboys? How can I go wrong!

Kame said...

Anna,
It is good. And you know the best part - it is different than every other cowboy book you will read - definitely give it a try.

Kame said...

Thanks for stopping by Pat. I gotta find her biker book too!