Tuesday, June 18, 2013

[Book Discussion/Review]: "Something About You"

Again, Kame and I are trying something a little different for today's post! We both picked up Something About You at the same time, and decided to do a double review and discussion about it. A few emails later, and here's what we put together. Let us know what you think about this post--do you want to see more like it or not?
Also, be warned--I am a shameless QuoteHussy, and I can't stop myself from pulling pages and pages of quotes out of this book while talking with Kame--it's that good! :D
Enjoy!
TBQ




Something About You by Julie James
Publisher: Berkley (March 2, 2010)
Series: FBI / US Attorney, 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Fate has thrown two sworn enemies...

Of all the hotel rooms rented by all the adulterous politicians in Chicago, female Assistant U.S. Attorney Cameron Lynde had to choose the one next to 1308, where some hot-and-heavy lovemaking ends with a death. And of all the FBI agents in Illinois, it had to be Special Agent Jack Pallas who gets assigned to this high-profile homicide. The same Jack Pallas who still blames Cameron for a botched crackdown three years ago—and for nearly ruining his career.

Into each other's arms...

Work with Cameron Lynde? Are they kidding? Maybe, Jack thinks, this is some kind of welcome-back prank after his stint away from Chicago. But it's no joke; the pair is going to have to put their rocky past behind them and focus on the case at hand. That is, if they can cut back on the razor-sharp jibes—and smother the flame of their sizzling-hot sexual tension.



Where to Buy*:
More Info:



Double Review and Discussion:


Kame: TBQ, this is so cool – I am so happy you thought of this!


TheBookQueen: I think it's something we definitely need to do more often!


K: I completely agree books are more fun when you know you have someone to discuss them with!

Hmmm where to start? Okay first off – what were you first impressions of the book?

I myself could not put it down, I kept on trying to sneak minutes here and there. It’s the whole package – the great characters the great dialog, and voices the characters have in their own heads – just keep me reading.


TBQ: Well, if I'm to be honest, I didn't know what to think during the first, I don't know, two or three chapters. Because while the murder-mystery did catch my attention, the over all story wasn't exactly pulling me in--yet. But I was still enjoying the writing, so I kept with it, and I am very glad I did, because as the story unfolded I found myself pulled in, and I'm looking forward to returning to this series! :) I liked how within the first few pages, Julie James had managed to make me smile.

Take this quote for example:

“Such a big, bad man! Right there, oh yeah—right there, don't stop!”

The pillow over her head did nothing to drown out the woman's voice. Cameron closed her eyes in a silent plea. Dear Mr. Big and Bad: Whatever the hell you're doing, don't you move from that spot until you get the job done. She hadn't prayed so hard for an orgasm since the first—and last---time she'd slept with Jim, the corporate wine buyer/artist who wanted to “find his way” but who didn't seem to have a clue how to find his way around the key parts of the female body.



And this was just the first of many such quotes. Here's another  one, from the latter part of the book:



“What is it you're trying to do from your laptop, anyway?” Cameron asked.

“Just a few things I want to have ready when Wilkins calls. I can log into the Bureau's network remotely—I want to take another look at Lombard's cell phone records that we pulled a couple weeks ago. Plus I've been thinking about setting up a trace on his phone, although I'll need one of the tech guys to help me with that. Then we can track everywhere Lombard's been—at least with his phone—over the last few days.”

Cameron put the bridesmaid's dress back into its spot on the rack behind the door. She glanced over her s\houlder. “Without a warrant, that sounds highly illegal.”

“Legal, illegal, there so many gray areas.”

“I didn't hear that, Jack.”

“Nothing to hear, counselor. I never said a word.”



K: Oh I loved that scene too!


TBQ: Heck, I can't help but share one more:


“Where is Wilkins, anyway?" Cameron asked.

"In the living room, being accosted by eighteen women who think he's a stripper. I thought it was best to duck in here."

"So much for never leaving a man behind."

"If he starts screaming, I'll lay down a cover fire and go pull him out.”




TBQ: By the end of the book, I was in love with Cameron and Jack. I even enjoyed Wilkins, and some of the other secondary characters. This was just a fun, sexy read, and I'm only sorry that I haven't read any of James' books before now.


K: I must confess I won Book 2 in this series from another blog, and I read that first and in that story the banter between characters comes sooner in the chapters, so when I read this book I knew it was coming and just sat back and waited.  I will say I thought Cameron’s inner dialog in the hotel before she knew about the crime was great! I myself plan on reading lots more of Ms. James

What is your favorite scene?

Mine was when Cameron explains what happened three years previous to Jack. And his reaction was just perfect!


TBQ: That's a great scene! Let's see...

I loved the sexual tension between Cameron and Jack, and I loved that James didn't have the two jump into bed from the very beginning. They had a lot of things to work out, not just their itch for each other! :D So this, I think, was one of my favorite scenes:






“Good. I'm glad we're on the same page with this.” Jack pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. “Now—no matter what happens next, keep these covers up. Think of it as the twenty-first century version of the Walls of Jericho.”

She looked at him in confusion. “Okay...”

“Promise me, Cameron. No matter what happens.”

“I promise. But why?”

“Because I'm going to kiss you good night.” With that, he leaned forward and captured her mouth with his. She threaded her hand through his hair and kissed him back, meeting his tongue hungrily with hers. The next thing Jack knew, he was on the bed with her pinned beneath him. Underneath the blanket, she spread her legs and he sank between them greedily. He was hard as a rock and throbbing being this close to her, and when she arched her hips against him, he nearly lost it.

“You're going to ruin me as an agent,” he murmured huskily. “Once I get inside you, I'm not going to be able to think about anything else except doing it again and again.” His hands went to the edge of the covers. Bullets hadn't stopped him, and this was a blanket. “I'll make it so fucking good for you....” He kissed her neck, her throat, wanting to go lower, wanting to taste her everywhere.

Cameron exhaled unsteadily. “You are so not playing fair.” But she didn't let go of the covers.

Jack buried his head in the pillow, struggling for that last shred of control. He lifted himself of the bed and grabbed his gun off the nightstand.

He handed it to her. “Take it.”

Her eyes went wide with a mixture of surprise and amusement. “Okay. If I have to shoot you to keep you away from me, I think we should just throw in the towel and say screw it to the wedding.”

“It's not for me. I want you to keep your eye on the door for the next five minutes. I'm going to take a cold shower.”

K: I too loved that they simmered and sweltered for a while before they were finally together.

Favorite quote from the book – can you pick just one?

Mine:


“If you keep up this whole nice routine, there’s a good chance I’ll lose it right here. And personally, I was hoping to postpone all freak-outs over the attack until later, in the privacy of my own home.”


TBQ: Love that quote! I don't know if I can pick one though. * pauses * Okay, here it is:






“If you think it means I'm asking you to move in with me, you'd be right." Her expression turned more serious. "If you also think it means that I wake up every morning wondering what I did to deserve having you back in my life, well, you'd be right about that, too."

Jack just sat there for a moment, just... stunned. No one had ever said anything like that to him.

"Come here," he said huskily. He grabbed her chair and pulled it toward his. He kissed her, softly at first, then his hand moved to her back and pushed her close as his emotions got the better of him. He pulled back to hold her gaze. "I love you, Cameron. You know that, right?"

She kissed him back, whispering the words in his ear. "I love you, too.”



Now I have a question for you---describe this book in 10 words or less. And go! :D


K: Ten words! HMMM – does it have to be a sentence or just words?

Murder Case with a side of second chance at love!

Or

Realistic witty dialog, sensuous love scenes, characters to love


TBQ: Both describe the book well--much better than I could have done! :) What did you love must about Jack? What about Cameron?

I loved Jack's alpha male attitude, his scruffy beard and his need to protect and be in control. Now, this can quickly turn into an annoyance, but James didn't cross that line. As for Cameron.... I think it was her inner-strength.



K: Jack was alpha male for me definitely, but some of his character traits I loved were that he loved to read, rode a motorcycle and that he fixed the banister and other things around the house.  Cameron had a hold on me when I learned what she did for Jack, working so hard for him to keep his job and just being quiet about it.



Final Verdict:
4.5 STARS! Both Kame and I loved this book, had a blast discussing it, and we are both looking forward to reading more books by Julie James! We're both recommending her books to anyone who enjoys a fun, sexy contemporary!




~ * ~ * ~

Kame and I both bought our own copies of this book.

*Note: The quotes used belong to Julie James; Kame and TBQ's Book Palace do not claim them.

~ * ~ * ~


Have you read any of Julie James' novels--do you have a favorite? Do you like book discussions like this, or just straight reviews?





Enjoy! 


Until Next Time,



 Photobucket

*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

9 comments :

Anna@herding cats said...

LOL Nice ladies. Love the "quote-hussy-ness" of it. ;) I have this one but just haven't gotten around to it. It sounds like I'm really missing out!

KAMEBookReview said...

Cats -
Take it on vacation - you will love it! TBQ is a quote hussy but they are all great quotes! Thank you for stopping by!

KAMEBookReview said...

TBQ - this was so much fun - it came out great! Can we do this again!!!!!

Red Iza said...

What a very good idea you had ! This sounds like one fun read ;)

Lover Of Romance said...

Love the discussion!! I haven't read this author, but I believe her books are at my library, so I should try one of them out. I am in the mood for a fun and carefree romance. Sounds like this one might fit the bill.

Musing Maddie said...

I loved this book and all of the books in the series!!! What a fun time you had discussing this! I am meant to be working... Highly recommend the series!!! MM xx

The_Book_Queen said...

I should update my graphics-- Official Cover Whore and Quote Hussy (and Proud!). LOL
I agree with Kame, you'll definitely like this one, Anna!
Enjoy,
TBQ

The_Book_Queen said...

Yes, we definitely need to do it again! Hm... perhaps with Making It Last?

Wickedly Delicious said...

Love the Double Review and discussion. Fun and would love to see more like this. I read this and enjoyed it.