Thursday, May 2, 2013

[Review]: "Pride Mates"




Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley
Publisher: Berkley (July 5, 2011)
Series: Shifters Unbound, 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance
 
CALL OF THE WILD
 
To most, they are animals even when in human form. They are to be collared and kept on the fringes of society, scorned because they are feared, hated for their extraordinary powers. And attorney Kim Fraser has to go right into the heart of their lair.
 
It is her job to defend those in need. But there is absolutely nothing defenseless about Liam Morrissey. His soft Irish lilt and feline grace can t disguise his sheer strength. Nor can the silver chain at his throat, designed to control the aggression of his kind, completely reassure her that this man has been tamed.
 
Yet when a feral shifter begins to stalk them both, Liam is the only one she trusts with her life. She'll let him claim her for her protection, for her pride, and for a passion that knows no bounds.

 
 





Where to Buy*:

More Info:



My Review:

I've been wanting to read this series for a while now, and when Wickedly Delicious and I decided to start the Shifter-a-Thon-Read-a-Long group, we knew this had to be our first pick. I'm glad that we picked Pride Mates; I must have my dose of shifter romance, and this one delivered just what I needed!


I've read Jennifer Ashley's historical, and loved them. There's just something about her writing style and voice that I love, no matter the genre she picks. Pride Mates was very easy to read, an enjoyable shifter tale with just enough humor to make the reader laugh, enough smexy time to leave a smile on the reader's face, and an actual story to it. All very important components! :)



“Liam, I cannot bring a shifter to work with me.”

Liam lifted his sunglasses, blue eyes dancing. “I don’t see any signs: ‘No Shifters Allowed.’ ’Shifters Must Keep Off the Grass.’ ’Absolutely No Territory Marking Anywhere.’”

 
 

Or this:

 
 
 
“How can you just sit there?”
 
“I usually sit when I’m drinking coffee. Or I lean against something. If I lie on my back, it goes down the wrong way.”   



I found Ashley's Shifters to be a mix of "something new" and "typical shifter", and I mean that in a good way! I loved seeing the ShifterTowns (the strong sense of community and family), though I didn't like that they were being outcast and put into such camps in the first place. I thought the Collars were a new twist, and I want to know more about this world, and all the characters in it!

What I really loved was that fact that although Kim and Liam may have become mates before the half-way mark, it definitely took until the very last page for them to reach their HEA. Sure, Liam had the need to mark her, to claim her, but he didn't love her yet, and she didn't love him. Which was great; often times "insta-love" from mating leaves a sour taste in my mouth, so I was happy to see these two work through the stages, from friends to true mates.

The scene towards the very end, where Liam must decide between the Collar and "freedom", was very powerful. This scene was important in many ways, including helping to place that final brick in the foundation of Liam and Kim's relationship. I'll admit, I was nervous, wondering how it would turn out, but I think I knew all along what Liam would pick.



4 STARS! A sexy and at times fun read, I loved Pride Mates. I totally fell for Liam (One word: Irish *melts*) , as well as his dad, brother, and nephew. And I know that there will be other Shifters that catch my eye as the series unfolds! I will definitely be coming back for more from Jennifer Ashley.




~ * ~ * ~

I bought this book.

*Note: The quotes used belong to Jennifer Ashley. TBQ's Book Palace does not claim them.*

~ * ~ * ~




If you're interested in joining next month's Shifter-a-Thon-Read-a-Long, click here.

If you'd like to read the discussion we had for Pride Mates, click here.

Stop by and read Wickedly Delicious review of Pride Mates! :)





Have you read any of Jennifer Ashley's Shifter books? What one is your favorite?




Oh, and one more thing--don't forget that there's a giveaway right now for a Kindle copy of Aubrianna Hunter's HIDDEN DEPTHS! This is one sexy book, trust me! :D



Enjoy!



 Until Next Time,


 Photobucket  

*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

4 comments :

Wickedly Delicious said...

Great review! I thought Prides Mates was perfect for our first pick. I do believe Jennifer Ashley has 2 new fans in her Shifter Unbound series. Reading those quotes makes me giggle again. I used them for my review too and still had me smiling.

Yes the Collar scene is a powerful and intense moment. I forgot to mention in the discussion what did you think of Fergus? (I think I spelled his name right). I thought it was awesome him and his men were almost like bikers. Curious if his men are going to play more roles in this series. When following around Kim I kind of took as they were all for her mating Liam.

If interested have my review up. Mine

The_Book_Queen said...

Yep, she definitely has two new fans! :)
You are right, they did seem kind of like a bikers. I'd like to see if they come into future books, too, because there were a couple that didn't really act like they were completely on Fergus's side... Maybe we'll have to read the rest of the series in future months! :)
Off to read your review, thanks for stopping by!
Enjoy,
TBQ

Anna@herding cats said...

Oh yes I loved this one too!! So much goodness in it and yeah Irish *swoon* lol. I thought the collars were an interesting twist too and having them contained at all.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the next one!!

~Anna
herding cats & burning soup

Wickedly Delicious said...

Let me know when ever you think you will read the next book in series. I know I will continue with this series do not know when I will read the next novel. I would love to do a buddy read with you and discuss it through email. I am enjoying discussing Sparks right now with you.