Saturday, March 16, 2013

[Kame's Review]: "Rev It Up"



Rev It Up by Julie Ann Walker
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca (October 2, 2012)
Series: Black Knights Inc, 3
Genre: Romantic Suspense
He's the heartbreaker she left behind...

He Never Misses a Target

Jake "the Snake" Sommers earned his SEAL code name by striking quickly and quietly—and with lethal force. That's also how he broke Michelle Carter's heart. It was the only way to keep her safe—from himself. Four long years later, Jake is determined to get a second chance. But to steal back into Michelle's loving arms, Jake is going to have to prove he can take things slow. Real slow...

She Aims to Make Him Beg

Michelle Carter has never forgiven Jake for being so cliché as to "love her and leave her." But when her brother, head of the Black Knights elite ops agency, ticks off the wrong mobster, she must do the unimaginable: place her life in Jake's hands. No matter what they call him, this man is far from cold-blooded. And once he's wrapped around her heart, he'll never let her go...

Where to Buy*:
More Info:



Kame's Review:

    






“I loved you then, I love you now, and I’ve loved you all the days in between.”

   




My friends would tell you I am a wimp when it comes to movies; I close my eyes at suspenseful parts.  I will leave a room rather than watch conflict; and I have nightmares about violent scenes I watch.  But for some reason I can not get enough of romantic suspense books lately, and the more suspenseful and the more conflict the better.  Add a good love scene or two; and you have me glued to my Nook and tied to the couch.  That is how it was while I was reading Rev It Up; I could not put the book down, I was stealing moments in my day to read a screen or two.

After a short, but important prologue, Rev It Up picks up roughly where Frank and Becky’s story (In Rides Trouble) left off. Snake, otherwise known as Jake Sommers, has come looking for Frank’s sister Michele. Jake believes he has caused Michele unbelievable pain; and he has taken years to come to grips with it enough so he could ask for her forgiveness. What he does not know is the untold love he has held in his heart for Michele also burns in her heart for him. 

Jake is the perfect romantic suspense hero.  He has an inner turmoil that he is fighting. He holds himself in such a high regard that he cannot forgive himself for missing a standard he to which he would never hold someone else. His love is unselfish and he is a guardian of all he loves, to the point of self-sacrifice.

Michele is a Mom before she is anything else.  Family is her life; as evident by naming her son after her brother. Frank and Michele’s childhood shaped the woman Michele has become, and it is that baggage that has caused her to make assumptions and choices about her future with Jake. These choices are not out of spite, but out of love.




 “Snow at Christmas was good. Homemade lasagna was good. This? This was transcendent.”

 
This was actually how their first intimate scene was described, but I find are also perfect words to describe the book. Julie Ann Walker created characters so vivid that I have no problems seeing them in my mind’s eye, no issues hearing their voices.  Michele and Jake have emotions and feelings that are raw, as raw as they were when they last saw each other four years before.  They are not stereotypical characters.  Jake is a California Surfer Navy SEAL; complete with the lingo. Michele the schedule centric mother with a secret only one other person knew; and he took it to his grave. Not a character is wasted in this book. Her detail for characters also extends to the villain in the story; he was described in way that made my skin crawl every time he appeared in a chapter.

Unite these great characters with a plot containing suspense and a “whoa” moment (when something happens you didn’t see coming!) and you have a fantastic 5 star book. One that has me counting the days for the next installment in this series.

I loaned this book from my library; but I will be saving my pennies to buy this series for my Nook.  I won’t wait for the library to buy Book 4; I will preorder so I won’t have to wait to read the next installment in the Black Knights Series.






 5 STARS!



 ~*~*~*~

Kame borrowed this book from her library.

*Note*: The quotes used are propety of Julie Ann Walker; Kame and TBQ's Book Palace do not claim them.

~*~*~*~



Meet Kame:

Kame is part of a family of readers; one day she picked up the Nook she purchased for her husband and discovered her love of e-books. A few months later he purchased one for her so he could have his back! Kame’s Nook is never far, and she is hard pressed to pick a favorite book, genre or author. As long as there are characters that make her want to sit down and have a chat and a plot keeps the pages turning, she’ll read it.

Kame's GoodReads 
 


~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sounds like another great read, thanks so much for sharing, Kame! :) I really must start this series.



Don't forget, Kame and I will be interviewing Julie Ann Walker on April 3rd, stop by and join the fun!


Enjoy!



Until Next Time,
Photobucket
*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

2 comments :

Lover Of Romance said...

Awesome review!!! I just love a good romantic suspense...and if you can throw in a sexy SEAL (that is icing on the cake) Putting on my tbr list!!! I also loved the quotes you picked.

Kame said...

Thank you LOR! I love a SEAL too! The new book is coming in April!