Right now I am...
~Accepting Reviews (If I do not personally have the time, perhaps one of my guest reviewers might. See my Review Policy for more information.)
~Booking Author Interviews and Guest Posts (See Being a Guest Author)
~Hosting Giveaways and Tours (Also see Being a Guest Author)
~Looking for Guest Reviewers (See Being a Guest Reviewer)
More about The_Book_Queen...
And don't forget to visit some of the other blogs that I love!
Are you interested in buying one of the books I've reviewed? If so, feel free to search Amazon for it!
- ► 2013 (378)
- [Royal Treats]: "Happy" Potatoes!
- Lusting for Covers (105)
- Blog Tour Promo: "Kiss of the Betrayer" + Giveaway...
- [ARC Review]: "One Good Earl Deserves a Lover"
- Blog Tour Promo: "The Stone Guardian"
- [Review]: "Deck the Halls with Love"
- [ARC Review]: "Demon's Curse"
- Lusting for Covers (104)
- [Review]: "The Ugly Duchess"
- [Kame's Review]: "Battered Not Broken"
- [Blog Tour Review]: "Broods of Fenrir"
- Blog Tour Promo: "Marked by Odin"
- Interview w/ Debra Smith + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour Promo: "A Feast of Souls" + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour Promo: "Tempted by the Storm"
- Lusting for Covers (103)
- [Review]: "Offside"
- Blog Tour Spotlight: "Shadow's Play" + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour: Promo on "Come Fill Me" + Giveaway!
- Kame and TBQ Interview Selena Robins!
- Avon Addicts Blog Hop + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour: Guest Post w Abbey MacInnis + Giveaway!...
- Lusting for Covers (102) [And a Cover Reveal/Givea...
- [Kame's Review]: "What a Girl Wants"
- Blog Tour: "Ava's Pleasure" Blitz + Giveaway!
- Blog Tour Promo: "Not Quite Dating" + Giveaway!
- [Review]: "A Highlander Christmas"
- [Kame's Review]: "No Flowers Required"
- Lusting for Covers (101)
- ▼ December (29)
- ► 2010 (91)
- ► 2009 (151)
Most Common Labels
Review Romance Contemporary Own Blog Tour Giveaway Lusting for Covers 4 Stars 5 Stars 4.5 Stars NetGalley ARC copy Historical Paranormal E-Book Guest Post Author Interview NOR Magic Novella What did I receive? Teen Fantasy 3.5 Stars ShapeShifters 3 Stars Teen Romance Vampires Military England Random Stuff Erotica Contest Winner Contests Demons Scotland Werewolves Early Reviewer's Book From LibraryThing Fantasy Reading Recap Fiction Time Travel Urban Fantasy Anthology Book Shopping Completed Reading LIst 2 Stars 2.5 Stars Book Trailer Discussion Dragons J.K. Beck Rebecca Royce Robin Leigh Miller Dawn Halliday Guest Authors Barnes and Noble First Look Copy Barnes and Noble Sneak Peak Copy Blog Tours BlogRoll Books Read Calendar Overview Disclosure Read in 2008 Read in 2009 Read in 2010 Read in 2011 Review Policy
Monday, December 31, 2012
I'm not a chef or anything, but I do enjoy cooking and baking. Even when my experiments do not always work out. :)
I thought I'd share a few of the better experiments with everyone.
Today I'm sharing a family favorite. Here in UT, this dish is fondly known as "Funeral Potatoes", as this dish is almost always at any funeral or church gathering. But I find that name just too depressing, so I've renamed them, and in my house they're known instead as "Happy" Potatoes.
Be warned--this is NOT a healthy dish. It's comfort food, plain and simple. If you want to make it lighter, go ahead. But I'll continue to live on the edge and enjoy it with all the fat and calories. After all, I don't make it too often. But when I do? There is no such thing as leftover "Happy" Potatoes. :)
Here's what you'll need:
- Shredded (thawed) hash brows
- 2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Melted butter
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Garlic and Onion Powder [optional--I've done it w/o and it's still great!]
- Cornflakes and Ritz crackers (crushed, mixed with more melted butter)
And a messy kitchen. :)
First, stir together the cream of chicken, sour cream, melted butter, and cheese. Season it as you want (s+p, onion, etc). Then fold in the hash browns and mix until it looks well combined. Like this:
Then grab yourself a 9 x 13 baking dish. Make sure to either spray it with some no-stick spray or butter it up, to prevent some awful sticking later. Trust me. :) I went with the butter--again, comfort food. 'Nuff said.
Spread the (yummy) cheesy-potato mixture into the pan. Spend 10 minutes trying to make it look perfect. Then just give up and call it good. Or just plop it in. Whatever you like. :)
Now it's time to decide what to top this with!
In the past, I've always done crushed corn flakes mixed with melted butter. But this time I decided to try something new. Half corn flakes, half (wheat) Ritz crackers. And butter. Oh my! :)
I've also ate versions with just more cheese as a topping, or even panko! Go crazy, try different combinations.
Smash up the crackers and CF.
Add the melted butter and mix them around.
Spread the mixture over the potatoes. Make sure it's even--you don't want to cheat anyone out of their share of topping! :)
And then forget to take a picture of said topping on the potatoes....
Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes, until it's nice and bubbly and yummy. Resist it for a few minutes to cool, or you will regret it. Trust me. I've burned my tongue too many times to count....
And then forget to take a picture of steamy potatoes.... What? I was too busy shoveling them in my mouth to remember to take a picture! Oops....
Oh my. I could live on this! I made a batch for Christmas dinner this year, and I think I loved it more than the turkey. There were no leftovers, though. *sigh*
Here's the recipe:
- 1 bag (32 oz) of shredded hash browns, thawed
- 2 (10 3/4 oz each) cans of Cream of Chicken soup [homemade would work, too, or even the "heart healthy" kind like I used]
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese [Or be like me and dump in an extra 1/2 cup, just because....]
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 tsp EACH of garlic and onion powder [optional--use as much or as little as you want, I've made it w/o before and it's still very tasty!]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes and Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Mix together the soups, sour cream and cheese. Fold in the potatoes and mix well.
3. Grease a 9 x 13 pan, using either butter or non-stick spray.
4. Spread the potatoes into the pan.
5. Crush up the corn flakes and crackers--don't go crazy, we don't want flour, just nicely crushed. Add the melted butter.
6. Spread the topping over the potatoes.
7. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until nice and hot and bubbly.
8. Remove the foil and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before diving in!
Do you have a recipe similar to this in your area? I'm sure that it's known by other names. If you're looking for a comforting side dish, this is it. Just watch how much you make, or you may find your pants suddenly fit a little too snug. This I know, so trust me. :)
Until Next Time,
*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!
Your Ad Here!
blog advertising is good for you
Your Ad Here!
blog advertising is good for you
My Rating Scale
- 5 Stars= Fantastic. Perfect rating, and a must read for anyone!
- 4.5 Stars= Great--- highly recommended!
- 4 Stars= Good, a very enjoyable read.
- 3.5 Stars= Nice, quick read.
- 3 Stars= Okay, about average.
- 2.5 Stars= Eh....Not the worst, but below average.
- 2 Stars= Borderline fail...Something was missing!
- 1.5 Stars=I didn't like it.
- 1 Star= Major flaws.... Or not my cup of tea, depends on how you care to look at it...
- 0.5 Star= DNF or DNE (did not enjoy--- at all).
Visitors to the Site
Web Counters Since December 19th, 2008
- Utah, United States
- Books are my life--plain and simple! :) My genre of choice is romance, of almost any kind. I love reading, I love sharing my thoughts on the books with others, and I'm always up for recommendations and book conversations! Please, feel free to find me on any of the various websites I frequent, or drop me an email! If you are interested in me reviewing your book (Or you just want to ask me a question), please email me at: The_Book_Queen[at]yahoo[dot]com.