Monday, December 24, 2012

[ARC Review]: "Demon's Curse"


Demon's Curse by Alexa Egan
Publisher: Pocket Books (December 26, 2012)
Series: Imnada Brotherhood, 1
Genre: Paranormal Romance (Historical)


A fast-paced and captivating debut—the first in the dark and sexy Imnada Brotherhood series about shape shifters in Regency-era England.

A rising star on the Covent Garden stage, Bianca Parrino believes she has everything she wants. Independence. Wealth. And a life finally free of her violent, abusive husband. But when her close friend, Adam, is murdered, and Bianca is suspected in his death, she is unwittingly drawn into the search for his killer, and soon must question everything she believes—about her friend, about herself, and about a world she never knew existed.

A member of the mysterious race of shape-shifting Imnada and part of an elite military unit, Captain Mac Flannery gathered intelligence during the Napoleonic wars. As a result of a savage massacre, Mac and the men he served with are cursed. Now one of them has been found murdered, and Mac suspects the existence of the Imnada has been discovered at last. His only link to unearthing the truth is the beautiful actress who turns up unexpectedly at Adam’s funeral.

Before long, Mac has more to contend with than Bianca’s overt mistrust, his ill-fated attraction to the haughty and beautiful actress, and his ongoing search for an end to the curse. Because Adam’s killer is back, and Mac is next on his list.

 

Where to Buy*:
More Info:


My Review:


Reviewer's Note: Writing a review is never easy, but the worst review to write is for a book that was simply “ok”. But, as both a reviewer and a reader, I must be honest. Here, then, is my honest review of Demon's Curse.

 


Shifters. Magic. England in the 1800s. Yes, please!

 

I was excited when I first saw the cover for Demon's Curse earlier this year. When I was lucky enough to win an ARC from the author a few months ago, I literally did a little happy dance.

 

But after actually reading the book, I found myself...disappointed.

 

It's not that Demon's Curse was a bad book. No, it was good. But it wasn't quite as great as I had built it up to be in my mind.

 

The main flaw in the book was the lack of character development and world-building; I was left wanting more! I wanted more from Bianca and Mac. I wanted more about the Imnada and the Fey-blood. In short, really, I just wanted more.

 

What really got to me though was Bianca. Long before the book began, Bianca was married, but her marriage was anything but great. From what little is said, it appears that he was abusive and simply used her. She mentions, ONCE, that she finally killed him, though no one ever suspected her. And then it's never brought up again. Not once!

 

And even worse, she still suffers from the demons of her past, has a hard time trusting men, and never takes a lover. Until Mac comes along, and suddenly one roll in the bed with him and she's cured of her personal demons. No talking it out, no explaining her fears to him, nothing. She simply goes from flinching when he tries to kiss her to suddenly forgetting about her dead husband's abusive nature.

 

These two things pissed me off. Really? That's just not right, nor believable, and honestly I had a hard time liking Bianca. Perhaps if there had been more of her character shown to us my thoughts would be different.

 

However, despite my problems with the characters and world-building, I still liked the story, and I felt that Alexa Egan's writing style was actually pretty good, and I will be coming back for her future books. I really liked the idea behind the book, and even though it wasn't a “wow” book for me, I still enjoyed the journey and I am glad that I had the chance to try this new author!

 
 
Favorite Quote:
 


Her hands unconsciously curled into Mac's fur, her tears falling upon his face as grief spiked painful and bitter against her heart. “Can you change back Can you be . . . be Mac? I need . . . I need arms round me right now. I need to know this will turn out alright.”

 

Gods, Bianca. If I could do this for you, I would in half a heartbeat. But I cannot. This, you see, is my curse.


 


3 STARS! Alexa Egan's debut may only tell us the bare minimum about the Imnada and Fey-blood world she has created, but I am sure that future books in the series will truly make the world come alive. For shifter fans who want to try something new, especially one set in a historical setting, pick up Demon's Curse!

 


 

~ * ~ * ~
I recieved an ARC of this book from the author (giveaway).

*NOTE*: The quote used in this review is the property of Alexa Egan. TBQ's Book Palace does not claim it.

~ * ~ * ~






Enjoy!



Until Next Time,


Photobucket


*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

No comments :