Friday, November 16, 2012

[Kame's Review]: "Hell on Wheels"



Hell on Wheels by Julie Ann Walker
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca (August 7, 2012)
Series: Black Knights Inc, 1
Genre: Contemporary Romance -- Romantic Suspense

Black Knights Inc.--Behind the facade of their tricked-out motorcycle shop is an elite special ops team assigned the jobs too hot for anyone else to handle.

Hold On Tight...


Ex-Marine Nate "Ghost" Weller is an expert at keeping his cool--and his distance--which makes him one hell of a sniper. It's also how he keeps his feelings for Ali Morgan in check. Sweet, sexy Ali has always revved his engine, but she's his best friend's baby sister...and totally off limits.

Rough Road Ahead

Ali's never seen anything sexier than Nate Weller straddling his custom Harley--or the flash of danger in his eyes when she tells him she's in trouble. First something happened to her brother, and now she's become the target of a nasty international organization. With Nate, her life is in the most capable hands possible--but her heart is another story altogether.


Where to Buy*:
More Info:



Kame's Review:


Nate “Ghost” Weller and his best friend Grigg left their careers as sharp shooters with the Marines after a rushed assignment resulted in the wrong man being killed.  They found their place with the Black Knights Incorporated who use the front of a custom motorcycle shop to hide the covert missions they go on.  Grigg and Nate are tortured during a mission, and Nate is the only one to come home.  He owns incredible guilt, and goes to see Grigg’s family.  Grigg’s little sister, Ali, has always stirred Nate’s heart, but Grigg deemed her off limits. Even though Grigg never told her about his real job, Ali always thought he was involved in something covert.  So when she has the overwhelming feeling she is being followed, she  comes to Nate for help.

This is an intense book from start to finish.  And I will be honest there were some scenes that were just too hard for me to read, but there were other scenes that I wanted to read over and over.


“He crushed her to his chest, seeking and finding her sweetly wonderful mouth with his own as his heart totally Grinched it and grew two sizes in an instant” 

 

Which leads to…



 "Ali, would you…”

“Yes.”

“Ya don’t even know what I was gonna ask, woman.”

“It doesn’t matter, Nate. The answer is always the same…yes.”
 
Ali and Nate will have a HEA, even though through most of the book I had little faith Ghost would allow himself to ever be happy out of his perception of what his best friend would want. This is more of a suspense than a romance, and readers will not find detailed intimate scenes, and the first romantic scene between Ali and Nate comes over 100 pages into the book.  I will admit to reservations to reading the rest of the series, only because the violent nature of some of the scenes.  A friend has told me the next book is not as violent, and it is about two characters I thoroughly enjoyed from this novel, so I think I will give it a try.


4 STARS!

~*~*~*~
Not a review copy--Kame pick this book up herself.

*Note*: All quotes used in this review are the property of Julie Ann Walker. Kame and TBQ's Book Palace do not claim them in anyway.

~*~*~*~



Meet Kame:

Kame is part of a family of readers; one day she picked up the Nook she purchased for her husband and discovered her love of e-books. A few months later he purchased one for her so he could have his back! Kame’s Nook is never far, and she is hard pressed to pick a favorite book, genre or author. As long as there are characters that make her want to sit down and have a chat and a plot keeps the pages turning, she’ll read it.

Kame's GoodReads 
 


~ * ~ * ~ * ~

I recommended this one to Kame a few months ago; not because I've read the book, but because I had heard such great things about the series. I'm only sorry that it wasn't quite as great as I told you it was, Kame. I loved the quotes you highlighted though--I think I may still pick up this series, someday.




Enjoy!



Until Next Time,
Photobucket
*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

3 comments :

KAMEBookReview said...

Thank you TBQ! I will say you were right on that it is a book that I would like. And if there wasn't as much explicity described violent/gruesome scenes I would have given it a higher rating. However these scenes were necessary to convey what Ghost and Grigg went through. It would not bother some - but I am a whimp. I did like the second book.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the review KAME! I'm putting this book on my TBR :)

KAMEBookReview said...

Steph, you will like it! And it is the first in a series! I need to write my review of book 2