Tuesday, October 25, 2011

[NOR and ARC Review]: "Last Breath"

Title: Last Breath
Author: Rachel Caine
Series: Morganville Vampires, Book 11
Publisher: NAL Hardcover
Publication Date: November 1, 2011
Genre: YA Fantasy/Romance
Summary (Amazon.com):
With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town-a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville's latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn't merely human. But is he a vampire-or something else entirely?




Other places to pre-order Last Breath at:


My Review:

This is book 10 in the bestselling Morganville Vampires series. The excellent storytelling by Rachel Caine hasn't dwindled one bit. Last Breath is just as thrilling and witty as book one, and twice as captivating!




There's never a sane (or dull) day in Morganville, Texas—that's something you learn quickly once you become a citizen. But when suddenly the vampires in the small town are concerned, even frightened, by a sudden message from a neighboring vamp community, one thing is clear: trouble is coming, and it is worse than anything Morganville has seen before. And frankly, that's saying something!



In between the chaos provoked by the message, another problem is brewing, this time between the two factions of the town. Eve and Michael have plans for their future, and it begins with the sound of wedding bells. But if the citizens, from either side, have their way, it will end in blood instead. Despite the sides, they both have the same core belief: Vampires and humans should not mingle, beyond one providing a meal for the other. Even Amelie, the town Founder and ruler has taken this side, for “the sake of the town”. Needless to say, neither Eve nor Michael will accept this answer, and so the fight begins!



Suddenly a newcomer is seen in town—or, rather not seen, as only Claire can seem to see the man as he wanders the town, always disappearing before she can catch him. Not long after she first sees him, vampires suddenly begin to go missing. And so begins the downfall of Morganville. For it not even the vampires are safe from this danger, then how will the mere humans survive?



Perhaps the most unexpected, and most emotional, twist comes out in between these two problems. To avoid ruining the novel for everyone, I won't explain this particular twist. However, I will say that Caine did a truly wonderful job at writing it; as I read it, my stomach was in knots, my eyes seemed to be constantly blinking back tears, and I could only hope, like the characters in the book, that everything would turn out differently, that it would be okay once again. Not many books have affected me to this degree before. It is mostly due to this section of the book that I gave Last Breath a perfect rating—if the characters are so well written and cared about that I would react this way while reading their struggles, then you know that the book has been written correctly, woven together by a true master!



5 STARS! Rachel Caine has done it yet again, bringing the world of Morganville to life in vivid clarity. The characters are enjoyable and intriguing, for as the books go on we seem to get a deeper look at all of them. Their struggles, relationships, and even everyday joking make the novels come to life in the reader's hands. Last Breath is easily the best book in the series (to date) and has all the right elements for a great read: romance, mystery, action, thrills, and humor! A must read, whether you've read the rest of the series or not. I anxiously await book twelve, as the ending for this one was a whopper of a cliff hanger—not that I'd expect anything less from Caine. After the interesting, and high-paced, roller coaster ride that was Last Breath, I can only image what she has in store for us next. Whatever it is, I'll be ready and waiting for it!





~~~
Thanks to Night Owl Reviews, where I received this ARC for free in exchange for reviewing the book. (Free book does not equal biased review, however!) This review is the property of NOR.
~~~ 

Enjoy!




 

Until Next Time,
Photobucket

*TBQ's Book Palace is a member of both the Amazon and Barnes and Nobles affiliates program. By using the links provided to buy products from either website, I receive a very small percentage of the order. To read my full disclosure on the matter, please see this post!

3 comments :

Blodeuedd said...

That is a lot to catch up on, I did see that they have translated book 1 but I despise translations, bleh. But I could read it...

The_Book_Queen said...

Blodeuedd,
It makes a lot more sense when they are read in order, but honestly (for the most part at least) many of the books can stand alone as well. I think I missed one or two earlier in the series and it didn't make much of a difference while reaidng this one. May I ask what language you are waiting to have it translated into?


Thanks for stopping by!

Enjoy!
TBQ

Shay Hardman said...

Great review! I can not wait to read it, lol. Thanks for telling Santa about me not having this book yet. Maybe I'll get lucky and find it under the tree :) but first I think I'm going to have to read Bite Club first. I don't know why, but I hate reading books out of order, lol.