Saturday, January 16, 2010

[Review]: "The Dark Divine"

Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain
Publisher/Publication Date: EgmontUSA (December 22, 2009)
Genre: Teen Fantasy/Romance
Summary (Amazon):
Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.


The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.








Other Places to buy The Dark Divine from:




My Review:


What if the 'good' son was really the 'bad' one? What if things really did go bump in the night? In The Dark Divine, you'll find out that nothing is what it seems...

Full of edge-of-your-seat suspense and mystery, Bree Despain's debut novel captures the readers' attention from page one and doesn't let go until the very last word! In between all of the action and suspense, you'll also find a heavy dose of romance--sweet, realistic, and even passionate at times---along with a paranormal story I bet you'd never expect from this book.


From beginning to end, I absolutely loved this book--- original, very well written, and highly entertaining. I loved how Despain effortlessly twisted the mythology, intrigue, and romance together to produce an unforgettable read that I could not put down! Lush, flowing descriptions made the novel practically appear before my very eyes, like a 3D movie.


On top of the amazing storyline, the characters were believable, and I'm sure that many readers can relate to them. I enjoyed all of them, with Daniel being my favorite (sexy “bad” boy-- need I say more?), and I would love to see them in future books. Best of all, the chemistry and connection between Grace and Daniel was fantastic. As the story went on, I found myself drawn more and more towards Daniel--- his dark, mysterious air practically begs you to figure out his secrets. And even after I found out about his past, I still wanted more.


4.5 Stars! Gripping and unique, dark and yet romantic, The Dark Divine is a wonderful debut, from an author that I look forward to seeing future books from. Be sure to pick this one up, I promise you won't want to put it down until the very end! After the tantalizing ending, I'm hoping that Despain will make a sequel-- not that the book needs it, but because I would love to hear more from these characters.

 ~~~
ARC copy (plus a bottle of purple nail polish) thanks to Random House (I think it was a contest I must have won...)!
~~~









Enjoy!








Until Next Time,
Photobucket














 **As an Amazon Associate, if you happen to buy this book from my link, I get a very small percentage of the order. Any money I may get this way will go into a fund to help buy books/shipping to host more contests here on my blog thi year. If you are already planning on buying said book from Amazon, please consider simply using my link to check out. Thank you!

3 comments :

Alaine said...

Fantastic review, going to go and see if I can get this book!

Teddyree said...

Thanks for the wonderful review, I voted for this book in a cover award but this is the first review I've seen. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

btw love the blog makeover, looks great!!

The_Book_Queen said...

Alaine--
Glad you liked the review! And if you can find the book now, I highly suggest getting it, I know you're going to love it! :D


Teddyree---
Oh, thanks-- I can't take any of the credit, all the amazing blog design/graphics are from JennJ. *Thanks again, girl!*

I like the colors on the cover, very eye catching, and but I'll be honest-- the model's feet are a bit... weird when you have the actual book to look at up close. LOL. Still, I love the cover, and the book is just as amazing as the outside! I'm sure you're going to love it when you get your hands on it! :D


Enjoy!
TBQ