Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reivew-- "Menu for Romance"

Author: Kaye Dacus
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Christian Fiction Publisher: Barbour Publishing, Incorporated
Publication Date: July 2009
Summary (Amazon):
Cater to your craving for fabulous fictional fare with Menu for Romance, where a party planner finds herself torn between the contractor and the cook. After eight years of unrequited love, Meredith Guidry makes a New Year's resolution to find someone new and end her single status before the year's over. And when she meets a handsome contractor on New Year's Day, it seems like her prayers have been answered. Executive Chef Major O'Hara has forsworn relationships, knowing he could never saddle the woman he loves with a family situation like his. But when it seems he's about to lose Meredith Guidry to another man, he realizes he must concoct a menu for romance to win her back.
My Review: I'm not usually one for contemporaries, unless it's from an author I already know and love. But when I saw Menu for Romance on the ER list for August, I was interested enough to request it. And while this wasn't my favorite book of all times, it was a pleasant enough read that I may try other books from Ms. Dacus in the future. I did enjoy the lite, fluffy romance in the story, and it was a welcome reprieve from all the other books I've been reading. It had it's 'ah, cute' type of moments, along with a few witty ones. In other words, a sweet, and fairly quick read. However, the one main thing that I didn't like was the complete lack of sexual tension---of any sort! Only a few little pecks on the lips were even mentioned in the book. Now, I know, this is technically a 'Christian Fiction', and that means that it's no where near the erotica level, but does it have to mean no sexual tension, too? Come on, sometimes the build up and teasing along the way is far more interesting than the actual 'event'! If the author doesn't want to put sex scenes in the book before the h/hr are married, that's fine with me-- but what's so harmful in a few slightly heady scenes between a couple that you know will end up married in the end? Despite the lack of, well, passion, between the hero and heroine of the story, the characters themselves weren't too bad. They could have had a bit more depth at times, but over all, I didn't mind them-- and I have to say, Major's mother was by far the most unique out of the group. I only wish the author had played up interaction between them all a bit more, since at times I almost didn't really see the connection between them. It was more like a fine line than the strong one you usually want in a book, especially a romance. Christian Fiction or not, you still need that connection, that growth and development from the characters. 3/5 STARS! An enjoyable romance novel, which I would recommend to anyone, even a teenage girl. With an interesting (and not too common) story plot, which only added to the appeal, plus characters and events that are realistic, Menu for Romance shouldn't be passed over just because of its genre. Try it, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed in it either! ~~~~~~ See, I told you I'd get this review posted before Friday! :D Thanks for all the well wishes, ladies! :D I really appreciate it. I'm still feeling miserable, but not quiet as bad as yesterday. Thank God for Pseudoephedrine--- I swear, if you have a stuffy nose, grab this stuff, it's the best kind out there, and I've been using it for colds for most of my life! Still, if you don't see me around a lot for the rest of the week, you know why. I will have another post Friday, at least. And maybe I'll start on my next review tomorrow, though I probably won't have it posted until next week sometime...

Enjoy!

Until Next Time, The Book Queen

1 comment :

Teddyree said...

Well done on getting your review posted & while feeling so sick, that's a double effort!!

And thanks for your honesty too, like you, in a romance I like to see some chemistry/sexual tension happening to give the reader some connection with the characters.

Take care, hope you're feeling heaps better soon :-)