Monday, April 13, 2009

REVIEW: "Max"

Title: MaxAuthor: James PattersonSeries: The Maximum Ride Series, Book 5
Pages: 309
My Rating: 4 ½ stars



Max and the rest of the flock are back in this latest installment of James Patterson's bestselling series.

The story picks up right where it left off in the previous book, Maximum Ride: The Final Warning. Global warming is affecting the planet, and it's up to Max and the gang to help spread the word and stop the illegal dumping of waste products. Every thing's going as planned, the Erasers are no longer coming after them, and, for now, it seems that Jeb is on their side. Suddenly, a new villain shows up.

They meet their newest threat while flying. A man with a gun attacked directly to his arm, in place of a normal hand, tries to shoot Max, but thanks to the warnings from the flock, the bullet barely misses her.

After the close call, Max starts planning their escape to somewhere safer, if that even exists. But she can't leave her mother and half-sister, both of whom she has only recently met. Instead, she agrees (a bit reluctantly) to go to a special school, located in Utah (Oh, I feel special, they mentioned my home without dragging in 'Mormon' jokes as well!).

While they are there at the new school, Max gets some devastating news: her mother has been kidnapped by Mr. Chu, the man behind the attempt on their lives earlier. Now the flock has to figure out where she's being held and save her-- before it's too late.

From there, the story twists and turns, treating the reader to an exhilarating roller coaster ride. Just when you think you have everything figured out, guess again, because Patterson will soon be throwing something new at you. It's part of what makes the series so good, and keeps the story fresh, even after five books.

Patterson's novels have been well known for years, and his Maximum Ride Series, which were originally aimed for a teenage audience, have only added to his fame. His books are written so that younger readers can enjoy them without the risk of running into adult content, yet they are so well written and interesting that just as many adults, including grandparents, are starting to pick them up, too.

The books have everything you could possibly want, a little something for every reader out there. Combine the following all together and you have the perfect recipe for a very addicting series: high-flying adventures, witty conversations between the characters, a touch of mystery and suspense, a lite dash of romance, and an interesting and unique storyline.

And the good thing about the series is that if you do pick up one of the middle books, without reading the previous ones, you won't be lost. Although it's always better to read the books in order, it's not required. Patterson does a good job at keeping the new readers updated on what's already happened. However, once you try one of them, you probably won't stop at just that--after reading the book, you will be compelled to pick up the rest of the books, anxious to find out what will happen next.

But be warned: if you've been following this series from the beginning, and you were hoping that Max would be a sort of conclusion to it, you're going to be disappointed. In typical Patterson style, Max leaves you on a cliff hanger at the end, ready for whatever Patterson is going to throw at you next time. On the bright side, this means that, for now, there is no definite end to this much loved series.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, and if you're wondering where my 'What Did I Receive' and 'What Have I Been Reading' post are, well, I have no excuse-- I've been busy, and when I've had a few spare minutes, I've been too tired/lazy. Sorry. What with my finals coming up real soon, a few starting within the next week or so, I haven't had a whole lot of time to get online for anything other than studying.

Just FYI, I didn't receive anything this last week anyway, though I am expecting a few books soon, from LT Early Reviewer's, plus a book from Larissa Ione's blog contest, and one other, though my mind has went blank right now.

I had a fairly good week last week, as far as reading goes, and I'm thinking of just doing a halfway through the month post for this month, since I'm behind on my weekly reading posts. We'll see how it goes, so no promises yet!

Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend, no matter your beliefs, and I hope you enjoy whatever books you are currently reading.





Until Next Time,The Book Queen
Image by Cool Text: Logo and Button Generator - Create Your Own

5 comments :

Anna said...

I didn't read your review yet, cause I don't want anything spoiled. I have Max and can't wait to read it. But I'm just on Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.

I really love this series though. :)

The_Book_Queen said...

Hello Anna,

No problem-- I understand! I would do the same thing if I were in your position. I would like to say that my review didn't have any, or very few, spoilers, but as I look back on it, I guess it does have a few...Oops. I usually try NOT to give out too much info in my reviews, but occasionally I slip.

I hope you enjoy Saving the World, the whole series is wonderful, and I love 'em.

Just a quick question, have you read his other scientific experiment series, When the Wind Blows and The Lake House? If so, then you probably already know how amazing they are, but if you haven't, might I suggest they go on your (long) list of books to read? I feel in love with those two books first, since they were out a few years before Maximum Ride, and even though they have a few similar plots and one character name (Max), I think I enjoyed them a slight bit more than Maximum Ride--but only barely! Please don't tell Max, of course1 ;)

Wow. Long reply! Anyway, enjoy your day,

TBQ

Anna said...

Nope I haven't. So, far I've just read the Max books. But I have been told several times how good the two earlier books are. I'll have to add this to my list. :)

The_Book_Queen said...

I promise, you won't regret it!

Ooh, the age old problem, huh? Soo many books, yet so little time? ;) I'm there!

TBQ

Anonymous said...

You have an award waiting for you at my blog, dear.