Sunday, March 8, 2009

Review: "Trouble in High Heels"

Author: Leanne Banks
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing (Part of Hachette Group)
Pages: 288
Summary:
Heiress Lori Granger looks like a million bucks — and is famous for giving much of her fabulous fortune away. But her generosity has outstripped her checkbook, and not even her glamorous image and come-hither eyes can save her now. Certainly not with Jackson James in the picture...
Hired by her dad's estate to control her spending, this CPA with linebacker shoulders and gray flannel suits invades her space, insults her dog and refuses to loosen his grip on her trust fund. Worse, he seems immune to her charms — unless she's close enough to kiss. Not a man to cross the line with a client, even when the attraction is hotter than a pair of Lori's highest slingbacks, Jackson agrees to help her find a husband to fulfill a condition of her father's will. Yet sharing her dreams with him makes Lori wonder: Could this infuriating Mr. Straight be the one to make them all come true?
When I picked up Trouble in High Heels, I had no idea what I was in for! Luckily, I found it pleasantly charming, though I was a bit surprised (see previous 'disclaimers' about how I do not really like chick lit/contemps) at first. But soon I was chuckling and smirking as I read the witty banter and story between Lori and Jackson.
Much like Jackson soon finds out after meeting Lori, she's not like your stereotypical 'blonde' heiress, spending daddy's money left and right on silly and frivolous things. No, Lori was much different. She had a backbone, she wasn't an airhead like he originally feared, and she hides a secret from her past that she's afraid will make her look weak if it ever came out...
Jackson, on the other hand, was a surprise as well. His past was anything but perfect, and he worked hard to get where he is today. And although being a CPA isn't usually the job I want my dream man to have (I'd much rather have one in some type of secret military service or hunting demons for a living, but hey, that's just me!), if the guy was built like Jackson, along with his personality, I could easily change my mind. (Damn, who would have known that a life of crunching numbers would lead to shoulders like that?! )
And though she played a minor part in this story, appearing only through letters written to Lori, Sunny Collins (Lori's now deceased mother) offers some wicked, humorous, and very true advice, sure to entertain the reader just as much as the rest of the story!
Trouble in High Heels is a quick, fast-paced read, sure to brighten any reader's day. With just the right amount of witty humor, smart comments, romance, and even a few fairly steamy scenes, you'll find it hard to put the book down or get bored!
Here was one of the quotes from the book that I liked:
"Dogs are generally more devoted than men are. "

~The wicked and wise Sunny Collins

4/5 STARS! Warm, charming, and brisk, Trouble in High Heels is a great weekend read, perfect for the beach or any other place you choose. Sit down, put your feet up, and enjoy this enganging contemporary!

Thanks again to Hachette for making this review possible! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow or Tuesday (at the latest) be prepared for my next review--and it's big, delicious, and amazing. Well, the book more than my words. ;) Care to guess what book it will be?

Until Next Time, The Book Queen

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

YAY!! You liked this one. It sounds good!!

Now, you have me curious as to what book you're reviewing next.

The_Book_Queen said...

I know! It's almost a bit surprising, isn't it? It's not historical, nor is it fantasy based, and yet I still enjoyed it! Believe me, I was a bit surprised too. I guess this just proves that I can't judge a book by it's cover-- or it's genre! I'm now starting to look at a few more contemporaries than I used to, and I've found a few that I'm going to try, when I get the free time (and money!) to do so. Who knows-- I could become a contemp fan like I am for other romances! :D

I knew that my little hint would make you curious-- I did it on purpose. I'm putting the finishing touches on my review right now, so check back tomorrow morning for sure and it should be on. I know, I'm mean by keeping you in suspense. :D I'll give you a bit more to chew on until the post is up--- it's one of the first books in a while that will receive a perfect 5 star from me. No 4.5, but a straight 5. And I can't think of one flaw, small or large, in this whole book. I read it in less than 24 hours, and I couldn't seem to flip the pages fast enough, it was that enthralling! It's part of a series, if that helps any...

;) Until then,
Enjoy!
TBQ