Friday, July 4, 2008

"Summer of the Eagle" Soars above the Rest!

Summary from the Summer of the Eagle:
Blaze was an outcast. The most powerful healer in her tribe, she used her impossible abilities only for good, but even that had alienated her fellow Sioux. Her father, who was pejuta wichasha, her tribe's medicine man, feared her. She herself feared some of the things she could do. And her dreams--those dreams of the child and the two slaughtered birds--were more terrifying than anything.

But it was a season of change. Blaze saw answers on the horizon, keys to the secrets she needed to unravel. The winds of destiny were rising, sweeping her toward freedom and others of her kind. There was darkness in her visions, but also a man: a tall, bucksin-clad stranger with golden-brown hair and eyes as green as the leaves on the trees. And though he was nothing like her, was a Frenchman, a trapper, his eyes promised understanding, kindness, and most important, a love that would be hers and hers along. Yes, the winds of fate were rising, and they promised a long, hot... Summer of the Eagle.



Though I have nothing against Native Americans, actually quiet the opposite, I have never really wanted to pick up a romance novel with the subcategory of 'Native American'. I can't describe my reasons, if there even were truly any, as to why I didn't. Maybe it was because the few that I had looked at did not hold my attention? Because they plot seemed too common? Poorly written? I'm honestly not sure. But whatever it was, it almost prevented me from picking up Summer of the Eagle by Susan Edwards about six months ago. I'm glad I picked it up and finally read it!

I've always been drawn towards books-- and movies-- that were magical. And no, I don't mean that in a flattering type of way (I.E.: "The moment was magical!"), although I guess that could be used to describe a lot of them. But magic, gods and goddesses, healing, things like that have always interested me. Becuase of this, Summer of the Eagle was very interesting and I savored every word! I may not believe in all of those things I just listed, but I do know that some of them are not entirely as fake as present day Society has made them out to be. It's hard to explain to a nonbeliever, but there are things that no one can explain.. things that shouldn't happen...things that are almost magical.
Susan Edwards deftly spins a delightful tale filled with mystical pleasure at every turn, a hint of mystery (Who is Taya, the child in Blaze's dream?), the story of a woman's quest to find out who she really is, and a love that binds Blaze and Luc spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Summer of the Eagle has everything that a good romance needs. It has it's moments of near fantasy, flaming love scenes, touching love/bonding scenes, and a touch of adventure. What more could you possibly ask for?
There were very few things that I could find faulty in Summer of the Eagle. The only thing that I could maybe put in the 'flaws' list is that it has a time or two when the story is rocky/slow in building up. But this one flaw, if you could even call it that (Seriously, what book does not have one part that the reader feels could have been slightly better, or could have been written this way or that way, et cetera? It's only bad if it happens more than twice AND each time the scene was messed up horribly.), was still not enough to ruin the overall fantastic story.

4.5/5 stars. This is a must read for anyone who is constantly devouring great romance novels! Come on, pick up Summer of the Eagle, and be prepared to find yourself fully submerged, body and all, into a lush story that soars along at the perfect swift speed (Yes, I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but just trust me.)
Until next time.. Read plenty, laugh often, love unconditionally, and live each day to it's fullest! Happy 4th of July!

No comments :