Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Only For You" Is as Sweet and Heartwarming as the Title!

SYNOPIS from B&N.com:
Saxan Honey Todd has sworn to avenge the murder of her twin brother. Recklessly, she gallops across the English countryside in pursuit of the man she believes to be his murderer--Botolf, Earl of Regenford. Amidst the danger of the untamed Scottish border, both Saxan and Botolf will risk their hearts on the stormy battlefield of love.







Only for You is the first book I have ever read from Hannah Howell. I'd been told different opinions from friends on mine on LT and other places. Some told me that they were boring and predictable, others told me that Howell's books are some of the best. Since I had not yet read any of them, I simply stayed neutral. But after reading Only for You, I have to say I'm leaning more towards the latter. Ms. Howell is now joining my long lists of favorite authors!

Since I usually prefer my romances to be leaning more towards romantica/erotica, or at the very last, an 'R' or 'X' rated romance, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed Only for You very much. It had everything-- sweet, tender moments, as well as witty ones, steamy ones, as well as a few that make you sit on the edge of your seat. Though I will admit that, yes, I would rather have had the story be a bit more frank on it's love scenes, it was not enough to discourage me from wanting to read more of hers, nor of giving Only for You a high rating.

Some say that the story line was "Too predictable and boring", and okay, maybe at times it was, but who cares? It was a great story of love and adventure, and even if you knew that the attempts on both of their lives might come close but never truly kill them, it was a delectable read, one that, when I get the time to go back through my books to re-read them, I will pick up again. In the mean time, I am going to start looking for her other books and read them. Hannah writes a brillant story line, mixing a lush historical setting (Most of her others, I hear, are Scotland, which is my favorite setting!) with a almost suspense like subplot and a budding, but touching romance that gracefully works it's way into full bloom. Along the way are moments where you laugh, moments where you almost cry, and, yes, even a few where you are tempted to grab a fan in order to cool off.

The only thing I had a slightly problem with was the hero and heroine's names. Yes, I know that OFY is set in the medivel times, but come on! Saxan and Botolf? I enjoy creativity in characters names, but I found that these two names just didn't quiet do it for me. But even this flaw was one that did not destroy the enjoyment of the story.

4.5/5 STARS! A fabulous historical romance that alternates between making you laugh and pulling on your heart strings, Ms. Hannah Howell has done it again! This one is definitely a keeper!

Until next time... Read plenty, laugh often, love unconditionally, and live each day to it's fullest!

~TBQ~

No comments :