Sunday, June 29, 2008

"The Beast in Him" Is Unleashed and Wild!

SYNOPIS from B&N.com:

In The Mane Event, Shelly Laurenston introduced a whole new breed of heroes-sexy, shape-shifting hunks who redefine the term Alpha male. Now, in The Beast In Him, one gorgeous lone wolf is about to meet his match.
Some things are so worth waiting for. Like the moment when Jessica Ward "accidentally" bumps into Bobby Ray Smith and shows him just how far she's come since high school. Back then, Jess's gangly limbs and bruised heart turned to jelly any time Smitty's "all the better to ravish you with" body came near her. So, some things haven't changed. Except now Jess is a success on her own terms. And she can enjoy a romp-or twenty-with a big, bad wolf and walk away. Easy.


The sexy, polished CEO who hires Smitty's security firm might be a million miles from the lovable geek he knew, but her kiss, her touch, is every bit as hot as he imagined. Jess was never the kind to ask for help, and she doesn't want it now, not even with someone targeting her Pack. But Smitty's not going to turn tail and run. Not before proving that their sheet-scorching animal lust is only the start of something even wilder.



When I picked up The Beast in Him a few months ago while snooping in Borders, I knew that it was more of a steamy romantica (romance/erotica) than straight out romance. With this in mind, I never really thought it would be an amazing book by any means. I knew that it would be something hot and steamy, something to grab when you want something sinful. Plus, it was about shifters, which I love in a romance book. Bring on the alpha males.



Boy, was I wrong!



The Beast in Him is the perfect book, if, like I said before, you want to read something sinful and lite. But after reading it, I have to change that last part-- it's not really lite. It isn't complicated, but it's not a straight out erotica, nor is it a chick lit. However, it is a nice combination of romance and erotica, living up to the proper nickname of romantica.



It has it's cliches, like many books in the general romance genre. Jessie Ann was the geeky girl in highschool. The one that all the girls picked on (And unlike in regular highschool, these girls didn't just shove and taunt. No, being She-wolves, they were more of the punch and kick ass kind of bullies.) and all the boys laughed at. Except for Bobby Ray, who had a soft spot for her, even clear back then. Sure, he sowed his wild oats with more than his fair share of girls, but it was all because, as a maturing male wolf, their hormores rage out of control, and how was a 17-18 year old boy suppose to know that his destined mate was right there in front of him? Not that I am saying what he did was right, but Jessie doesn't hold it too much against him. No, instead the one thing she holds against him was when he pushed her away-- while he was drunk, no less. I think he deserves extra points for that! Come on, a teenage male, an alpha male wolf to boot, drunk, and yet he still gains control and walks away without even a kiss? If I was her, I'd be pissed off too, at first, but I'd give him points for it later.



Anyway, he leaves for the Navy, and not long after, she leaves the small town in Tennesse to make something of herself. And she does, becoming the alpha femal of her own pack. As a wild dog, the lowest breed out there, in the snotty wolves' eyes, she isn't quiet as tame as your average 'nerdy girl'. Nope, quiet the opposite, in fact, especially if you touch her "pups", AKA, the teenage wolf that she's going to adopt, and the various teens and young kids of her Pack members--- and best friends.



Bobby, AKA, Smitty, tracks her down, and the chase begins. After many failed attempts (in front of his buddies, cats, no less) to get her attention again, they finally hit his apartment. Needless it say, the scenes that follow are steamy, hot enough to burn the very clothes on your body off. Smitty is the ultimate Alpha Male, and he shows it. But don't get the wrong idea-- Jessie isn't exactly a submissive person either!



As time goes on, Jessie starts to realize that even if she had originally only planned on this 'relationship' being simply really hot sex, it's not going to stay that way. Smitty tries his hardest to convince her that they are meant to be together (though even he doesn't think of the word 'mates' at first). After many arguments, misunderstandments, 'help' from both of their Pack members, and quiet a few heavy items thrown at Smitty's head (by Jessie, of course... Don't leave items lying around the place when she's angry!) they both give in and he claims her. She gets pregnant, they get married, and every one's happy. Heck, she even got the big tough Bubba *Smitty's daddy* to cry at the wedding.



The only thing that I had a problem with in this book, was the names. Okay, so judging the characters and book based on mere names isn't the best thing to do. But I do it anyway, whether I mean to or not. Every time I saw their true names written in the book (Bobby Ray Smith and Jessie Ann Ward) all I could picture in my mind was the two of them in a double wide, going at it on a creaky bed, with Jessie shouting, in a very thick Southern/hick accent "More, Bobby Ray, more!!". Maybe it's just me, but for some reason, that name just kind of ruined those scenes for me. Even though they call him Smitty more often than Bobby Ray, Smitty isn't exactly the sexiest name either. **Or is this just me? Comments, please!** Nothing against people who have these names, live in the south, etc. It just didn't quiet do it for me, not for the plot line involved. And we know that they all have accents-- did she have to keep up with the "y'all"? It kind of slowed the conversations down while I was reading it. I'd rather hear their voices/accent in my own mind, not have the author keep 'reminding' us through out the whole book.



All in all, The Beast in Him is a good book when you want to get carried away by naughty sex scenes, witty and sarcastic humor, and, most importantly, True Alpha Males. If you can't stand your 'romance' to be extra lusty, than this book may not be for you. However, if you don't mind that, and you have no problems with 'paranormal', in this case shapeshifters *bears, wolves, dogs, hyennas, big cats, etc* then I recommend this book. I did, unfortunately, start The Beast in Him, which is the second one in the series, before reading the first one, The Mane Event, which covers the story of Mace and Dez, a semi-main couple in TBIH. Since I have not read the first one, I couldn't really tell you if skipping one will mess up the story line any or not, but since this one was a good book, I don't think it would hurt to maybe read The Mane Event before moving onto this one. I will be reading the first one as soon as I can find it at the bookstore, and I believe I now have a new author to add to my favorites list.



4.5/5 stars. Steamy, lush, wild--and I'm not just talking about the sex! This is a don't miss book for any paranormal fanatic who doesn't mind that it's not a straight out heartwarming romance.



Until next time... Read plenty, laugh often, love unconditionally, and live each day to it's fullest!



~TBQ~

No comments :